JOHN L. SCHROEDER
Senior Director, National Wind Institute
Professor, Department of Atmospheric Science
Texas Tech University
Professor of Atmospheric Science, Texas Tech University (2012-)
Senior Director, National Wind Institute, Texas Tech University (2019-)
Director, National Wind Institute, Texas Tech University (2012-2014)
Director, Wind Science and Engineering Research Center, Texas Tech University (2010-2012)
Associate Professor of Atmospheric Science, Texas Tech University (2006-2012)
Assistant Professor of Atmospheric Science, Texas Tech University (2001-2006)
Research Associate, Wind Science and Engineering Research Center, Texas Tech University (2001)
SIGNIFICANT HONORS AND AWARDS
- National Weather Association’s Larry R. Johnson Special Award, October 2008
- International Association for Wind Engineering Junior Award, August 2012
- Texas Tech University Integrated Scholar Award, January 2014
- Texas Tech University President’s Excellence in Commercialization Award, April 2017
- Led the development of several noteworthy atmospheric observation technologies that serve the meteorological and wind engineering communities. These include the adaptable and rapidly deployable StickNet platforms, TTUKa mobile research radars, and the DOE-X prototype radar. Dr. Schroeder has also led the expansion of the West Texas Mesonet to include 121 near-surface weather monitoring stations and an integrated regional SODAR network.
- Led and/or participated in numerous field projects to acquire meteorological information from severe storms, tornadoes and hurricanes. He established an active hurricane research program at Texas Tech University in 1998, which has continued for two decades.
- Dr. Schroeder has given numerous conference presentations and published various peer-reviewed publications based on the collected tower and radar data providing insights into the boundary layer structure. His research agenda has been focused on relating the meso, micro and turbulence scales of the atmosphere to engineering communities.
- Dr. Schroeder has been very active in commercialization and has won Texas Tech University President’s award for commercialization. He has been a co-author on three awarded patents in the US, another in Europe, and another patent application is pending. He has developed a start-up company, SmartWind Technologies, which remains in incubation with the support of Texas Tech University, but has received multiple contracts, including a major award from a European partner. He has been responsible for two different license agreements between industry and Texas Tech University.